The New Zealand Association for Gifted Children

Back to NZAGC Home Page

phorum - Educational games/books/CDs - Spelling lists for primary school
Educational games/books/CDs

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Spelling lists for primary school
Author: Sarah 
Date:   09-01-08 23:00

My boy is going into a year 5/6 class next year and is determined to be in the top spelling group from day 1. This has meant 3 hour car drives with a never ending demand for harder words to spell. How many 8 year olds need to know how to spell pestilence?

Does anyone have access to the spelling lists used for that age group in New Zealand schools?

thanks

Sarah

Reply To This Message

Re: Spelling lists for primary school
Author: Sue 
Date:   10-01-08 11:57

You can purchase the Schonell Spelling resources from:

www.learnex.co.nz/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=54&products_id=224

Most schools seem to use the Schonell Spelling Lists as their guideline.

My Yr 7 son, who is 12, had words like ventriloquist, bequeathing, exhilarating, necessitate, biodegradable, encyclopaedia, portmanteau and pseudonym in his spelling list in Term 1 last year. His spelling age is well in excess of his actual age, so I am not sure if the words actually came from a recognised list or were ones she selected for him. In Yr 6, his teacher got him to select his own words which were generally very advanced - he would choose really unusual words from the dictionary - the longer the better!

The Schonell Spelling Test is online at:

www.rrf.org.uk/Schonell%20Spelling%20Test.pdf

Sue

Reply To This Message

Author: Pamela Warrington 
Date:   05-08-10 17:38

A school needs the spelling list as the Principal many years ago worked from this list. She said that she had good results from it

Reply To This Message

Author: katba 
Date:   25-08-10 14:17

Hi my son has just been tested on the Schonell Spelling Test he has just turned nine and has a spelling age of 13 will spelling help him with maths and reading?

Reply To This Message

Author: Dalbir singh 
Date:   07-10-11 15:35

Please send me list 7 for primary school students in nz.

Thanks

Dalbir singh

Reply To This Message

Author: Sue 
Date:   07-10-11 23:36

Dalbir, I think you'll probably have to go in search for the list yourself - or ask your school for a copy. There are a couple of websites listed in my 2008 post on this subject which are a good starting point.

Reply To This Message

Author: Nellie Ligaliga 
Date:   07-05-12 22:46

I am wanting to get the Spelling sets from A-Z. I don't exactly know what it is called but the children call them spelling sets from A-Z. If you are able to spell the words in set J then your spelling level is 8 years and 4 months.

Reply To This Message
 Forum List  |  Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your E-mail:
 Subject:
 Please type the text you see below:

cfcd2

Back to NZAGC Home Page