The New Zealand Association for Gifted Children

Back to NZAGC Home Page

phorum - Educational games/books/CDs - Re: Settlers of Catan
Educational games/books/CDs

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Settlers of Catan
Author: SSEMI 
Date:   26-02-09 17:26

Hi all -

Just want to make sure that everyone knows about this game - absolutely brilliant for kids. We bought it for our family last year, and for the first month or so the kids were playing it several times a day - even getting a game in before school some days! It is very cleverly designed to be a different game each time you play, so never gets boring.

Hidden deep in the game, completely disguised as fun, are some pretty good lessons about economics, compounding and wealth creation. We were discussing the economy and the concept of commodities and price with our two youngest (13 and 11) the other day and they suggested: " - oh - just like in Settlers". Connection made...!

Has anyone else played this game? I've never met anyone who's played it and not enjoyed it. It's designed for three or four players (five and six person expansion sets are available), but actually makes a very quick and fun game for two - eg Mum and Dad after the kids are in bed...

Cheers,

Reply To This Message

Re: Settlers of Catan
Author: Sue 
Date:   01-03-09 22:40

Yip - it's a great game and has been around for a while. We have heaps of games from the company which makes this one and they engage the whole family. My personal favourites are Carcassone and Princes of Florence.

Sue

Reply To This Message

Author: Rebecca 
Date:   03-03-09 08:53

You guys have me interested and I've looked them up on Trademe. What sort of age group would these be best suited to? I've a feeling my a little too young at the moment (almost 7 and almost 9).

Reply To This Message

Author: Sue 
Date:   03-03-09 16:12

Hi, Rebecca.

You can absolutely play Carcassone with gifted kids 7 and up. In fact, if memory serves me right, I introduced this, Settlers of Catan, and Princes of Florence all in the same year when my youngest was then about 7 1/2. The reason I remember is that it was when he went through his phase of loving things medieval and Monty Python's Holy Grail film, and Carcassone fitted with creating a medieval city.

The scoring can be a little complex at first, but if you have a handle on it then introducing it to your kids will be easier.

Cheers
Sue

Reply To This Message

Author: Southern Mum 
Date:   16-03-09 20:14

Hi Rebecca
Carcassone is fine with a 7 year old - we got it for Christmas (friend recommended starting with this and getting Catan in a year or two). Can also get extension packs to make it more interesting as they get older. Enjoy!

Reply To This Message

Author: Meg 
Date:   21-03-09 13:41

Yes Settlers is a great game. We've played Carcassone with our four year old but with slightly simplified rules, I think Settlers can wait till he's a little older! "Hey That's My Fish" is pretty fun for all of us :o) (the 3 and 4 year olds enjoy it too)

Reply To This Message

Author: Rebecca 
Date:   21-03-09 15:09

We ended up getting Carcassone a couple of weeks ago and we've played it several times since. I don't think the 6 yr old makes the most of the strategy side of it, however he understands the rules etc easily and his 8 yr old sister and I really enjoy it!! Thank you for mentioning it Sue! We'll wait a couple of years for Settlers of Catan!

Reply To This Message

Author: Shell 
Date:   02-09-09 16:02

We got Settlers for our eldest's 7th bday (his little sister was nearly 3,5). She understood the rules right away, but has never liked competition, so preferred to be the banker.

But now that she is nearly 7, she beats us every time. Right now we are playing every day, and can't wait to get a couple of expansion packs.

Fabulous game :0)

Reply To This Message

Author: Anon 
Date:   02-09-09 18:04

It's awesome huh. For our kids and us alike!!

Reply To This Message

Author: Morph 
Date:   18-07-11 22:24

I wasn't sure if our kids (7&9) would get it, but the first time we played they were right into it. Just played for the third time and it was neck on neck between my 7 year old son and I, and with a bit of luck I pipped him. His strategic thinking is incredible. We never really enjoyed Risk, but this is fun! Amazing to be able to play a competitive game with our kids. What's next - any recommendations?

Reply To This Message
 Forum List  |  Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your E-mail:
 Subject:
 Please type the text you see below:

badd7

Back to NZAGC Home Page