The New Zealand Association for Gifted Children

Back to NZAGC Home Page

phorum - Educational games/books/CDs - Re: Extreme ability in logic/puzzle games
Educational games/books/CDs

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search   Previous Message  |  Next Message 
 Re: Extreme ability in logic/puzzle games
Author: Elise 
Date:   05-05-09 20:16

Hi

Thanks Linda for those ideas, the robot puzzle is great..I need to get some more ink for my printer so I can print out some things I think.

Thanks Sue about the additional packs for Rush Hour, she is extremely good and very fast at this game so I might look into getting the additional pack for her, I think that she is just very good at this type of puzzle and even though they get harder it probably wouldnt take her long to work them out (she could do some that took me some time to figure out!).

She really loves sudoku aswell but is a bit of a reluctant writer so we have one where you have to place wee animal markers in the same way (same size as a standard sudoku grid and comes with a pack of cards with the start pieces on it in varying difficulty) she plays this often and when she is ready to move on from the animals I will make up some wee shape, or number cards that she can use.

I also might get her a rubiks cube, it would probably scare me if she could do it though as it confuses me and I am a good 20 years older than her! What is a soma cube?

Is chess any good for kids that like these sort of things? I can't play and have never had an interest in it but I thought of getting her a chess set and we could learn together?

I think that the problem is that alot of the games like this that I see all have a much higher age rating than her actual age so it is hard to tell until I open it up and have a look or give it to her to have a quick go at whether it will be suitable for her. The castle logix that we have (I think it is called camelot) says for 4-8 and she can solve all the ones in the book and we only just got it last week, the ones in the beginning of the book meant for her actual age were far to simple she could solve them in a matter of seconds and DD2 could do the same, sometimes I think they must have the age ratings on these things a little wrong!

Reply To This Message  |  Forum List  |  Flat View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Topics Author  Date
 Extreme ability in logic/puzzle games  new
Elise 01-05-09 11:16 
 Re: Extreme ability in logic/puzzle games  new
Linda 01-05-09 11:30 
Linda 01-05-09 11:40 
Linda 01-05-09 11:48 
Sue 01-05-09 13:54