The New Zealand Association for Gifted Children

Back to NZAGC Home Page

phorum - Educational games/books/CDs - Re: Prehistory and history nonfiction for 5yo girl
Educational games/books/CDs

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Prehistory and history nonfiction for 5yo girl
Author: C 
Date:   21-09-12 11:46

Anyone got any good ones they can recommend? In terms of prehistory, 5yo is interested in how the solar system began, evolution, the ice age, continental drift, the discovery of fire ... In terms of history, she loves explorers discovering new worlds ("Who named each of the countries?"), as well as the usual 'day in the life' and funny old-fashioned clothes and things :)
We already have Awesome Aotearoa, which she absolutely loves the first half of (before it starts to get all political and world warry), so mostly after pre-1900 stuff, really.
And because she's young but still a great reader - with a lot of hard questions! - something really comprehensive and detailed, but chatty and funny and with pictures :) Not the Horrible Histories kind of thing though ... a bit too gruesome still!
And as if that isn't too much to ask for, website suggestions would be great too!

Reply To This Message

Re: Prehistory and history nonfiction for 5yo girl
Author: Wendy 
Date:   27-09-12 22:07

I wondered if you have read the Magic School Bus books? they are perhaps a bit more science than history but my daughter loved them at 4, progressing to the chapter books and then on to horrible histories, My Story books etc, the My Story books are historical fiction just like My Royal Story which are fictional diaries based on historical figures, eg Cleopatra. I have built up collections of all these books buying second hand on trade me and on special deals from Scholastic Lucky Book Club.

Reply To This Message

Author: C 
Date:   20-01-13 22:29

Thanks Wendy, I never realized what those Magic School Bus books were all about - for some reason i thought they were like Enid Blyton's Magic Faraway Tree books lol! FWIW if anyone else is looking at this topic for ideas, we also got The Birth of the Earth series - a series of 4 graphic novel/cartoon books that cover the creation and history of the universe, the start of life, dinosaurs and early man. Love it!

Reply To This Message

Author: a 
Date:   23-01-13 08:33

Ours enjoyed the Magic Sch Bus - even tho they are American. Also check out the Dorling Kindersley books - you can get ones that show a specific town or bit of land and how it changes thru the ages, forgot the name of actual book. And then check out similar theme, by author/illustrator Jeannie Baker, she has done 2 or 3 awesome books with fab illustrations that hooked ours, one was 'Where the Forest meets the sea' - should be in your library.
When the reading age increases check out Scholastic's 'My Story' series, chapter books that are really well done, historical recreation. Ours got into those big time. Then you can move on to some fab NZ authors who do kind of historical fiction - Joanna Orwin is one. Have fun!!

Reply To This Message
 Forum List  |  Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your E-mail:
 Subject:
 Please type the text you see below:

3c3d5

Back to NZAGC Home Page