The New Zealand Association for Gifted Children

Back to NZAGC Home Page

phorum - Educational games/books/CDs - fossilisation/decomposition
Educational games/books/CDs

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 fossilisation/decomposition
Author: Tami 
Date:   24-09-13 08:43

Hi all,

my 3 year old has been asking about fossils. all of the resources I can find which are age appropriate describe fossils as remains and leave it at that. But she wants to know HOW the fossils are made - I think we are getting in to decomposition. Any suggestions for learning material on this. I googled explaining decomp to a 3 year old and got stuff that was inappropriate for me to look at!
she understands death and that bones are in the body just not what happens to the body next - i did try to say it goes back to the earth but of course she didn't buy it....

Reply To This Message

Re: fossilisation/decomposition
Author: country girl 
Date:   25-09-13 09:48

Could you do your own little experiment? Find a freshly dead mouse and put it under a rock and then check it very few days/weeks to see what happens. You could also bury one and then dig it up and see the difference.

Reply To This Message

Re: fossilisation/decomposition
Author: Tami 
Date:   25-09-13 09:53

Great idea thanks. She's now talking about her own bones. Combined with her passion for CPR ( I know) I can see where this is going. Guess ill be asking how to explain mortality next!

Reply To This Message
 Forum List  |  Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your E-mail:
 Subject:
 Please type the text you see below:

cfcd2

Back to NZAGC Home Page