The New Zealand Association for Gifted Children

Back to NZAGC Home Page

phorum - Educational games/books/CDs - Audio Books
Educational games/books/CDs

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Audio Books
Author: Mon 
Date:   03-07-15 01:39

Hello, I would really appreciate any audio book recommendations from the library for my gifted 8 year old son, thank you very much

Reply To This Message

Re: Audio Books
Author: J 
Date:   06-07-15 12:31

It will depend on his interests really. My 10 year old daughter has really enjoyed listening to Bill Bryson's Short History of Nearly Everything. Is on her second go through in fact. She'e enjoyed The Hobbit, How to Train Your Dragon series, The Owls of Ga'Hoole, and some classics like The Jungle Book, The Snow Queen and Heidi.Also Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson (which is a great adventuring book alhtough initially with a female protagonist).

Ask your library what they can get in, if the current range doesn't appeal. We use Audible, which costs, but because she commutes quite a bit, it's been worth it.

Reply To This Message

Author: mpledger 
Date:   09-07-15 13:58

Our library in Wellington allows audio books to be downloaded for borrowing. I haven't done it so can't tell you about the downsides/upsides. If you don't live in Wellington you may be able to become a member at some cost.

It's probably the same at Auckland library so it's worth checking their catalogue to see what they hold in their e-library.

From memory, and it's a while ago, I think it was something like $10 a year to join the Auckland library if you don't belong to the Auckland rate paying area.

Reply To This Message

Author: Mon 
Date:   07-08-15 22:03

Thank you for your suggestions. I will look into Audible for the main reason Im terribly impatient about waiting for library books/cd's to become available and/or be sent to our library.

Reply To This Message

Author: Gillian 
Date:   29-11-15 20:53

Wellington library now have access to Tumble books for free. We have just discovered it and are watching the picture books while the audio plays. They have older books as well. With the library catalogs, Bolinda and Overdrive, you can limit the search to currently available books so they are instantly available. Your library may have something similar.

Reply To This Message
 Forum List  |  Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your E-mail:
 Subject:
 Please type the text you see below:

8a1dd

Back to NZAGC Home Page